It can be hard to get through the day when you struggle with anxiety, stress, or other emotional issues. Maybe you want to feel happier and more engaged at work. You might want to manage chronic pain without medication or find relief from insomnia. Bioenergetic therapy is designed to help with your emotional, psychological, and physical challenges.
What Is Bioenergetic Therapy?
Bioenergetic therapy is a form of somatic psychotherapy that helps clients develop and use their innate healing abilities. It is based on the idea that the mind, body, and spirit are interconnected and that all parts of a person contribute to their health.
The term “bioenergetics” comes from a Greek word meaning “bioenergy.” It’s believed that everyone has a certain amount of life force or energy at all times.
Bioenergetic therapy aims to help patients become more aware of how they interact with their inner world and others. This increased awareness leads to better self-awareness and an understanding of one’s needs, which can help people make better life choices.
It was developed by Dr. Alexander Lowen, who was inspired by the work of Wilhelm Reich. Bioenergetic therapists believe that people can overcome their struggles but must be taught how to do so.
Specifically, bioenergetic therapists believe that the body has an innate capacity to heal itself and that the individual is responsible for their healing. They believe that if you are going through a difficult time, you cannot cope with what is happening in your life and that your body is signaling this through a physical ailment or symptom. The therapist will help you discover what is causing this stress and then help you find ways to cope with it so that your body can heal itself naturally.
Principles of Bioenergetic Therapy
Bioenergetics is based on three principles:
- The body is an expression of the self, not just its manifestation.
- Life energy flows through our bodies and minds in specific ways that can be explored and understood through direct experience rather than theory or speculation.
- Treatment involves understanding how this energy flows manifest in our relationships with others, affecting how we feel about ourselves.
Techniques of Bioenergetic Therapy
The following techniques are commonly used in bioenergetic therapy:
- Contacting the client’s emotional, physical, and mental body through touch.
- Use of breathing exercises to connect with the client’s emotional state and release energy blocks.
- Working with dreams, symbols, and images to access unconscious material and understand how it affects the client’s present life experiences.
- Use of guided imagery to promote relaxation, access emotions, develop insight, and facilitate healing.
Does Bioenergetic Therapy Work?
The answer is yes!
Bioenergetic therapy is an effective treatment for various mental health issues like anxiety, depression, and PTSD. It works by helping your body heal—not by changing your brain chemistry (as pharmaceuticals do), but by balancing your body’s energy flow.
Bioenergetic therapy is simple: Your body needs the energy to function correctly, and when something goes wrong with your energy flow—whether because of trauma, stress, or illness—it can cause pain and dysfunction in your body and mind. Bioenergetic therapy aims to help the body repair itself so the patient can start feeling better again.
Benefits of Bioenergetic Therapy
Bioenergetic therapy is a powerful modality that can help people feel stuck, overwhelmed, or exhausted. It is a form of body-centered psychotherapy that works from the inside out to help you create positive change in your life.
It combines the best of modern psychology and ancient wisdom to provide a holistic approach to healing. This therapy allows you to connect with your inner self, resolve issues and create lasting change in your life. The following are some benefits of bioenergetic therapy:
- Helps you create a robust and healthy body and mind.
- Promotes healing of the emotions and spirit.
- Helps you achieve your full potential in life.
- Improves your ability to function at work, home, and school by increasing productivity and creativity, reducing stress, and increasing energy levels.
- Improves the quality of your relationships by increasing empathy, understanding, and compassion for others while decreasing the tendency toward aggressive or abusive behavior when feeling frustrated or threatened by others.
- Increases your self-esteem by helping you accept yourself as you are in this moment without judgment or criticism from within or without.
- Overcome psychological problems like depression, anxiety disorders, trauma, PTSD, addictions, and OCD.
5 Things to Consider Before Getting Started With Bioenergetic Therapy
Before you get started with bioenergetic therapy, there are a few things to consider.
- Bioenergetic Therapy is not a cure for any disease or condition. It is an approach that helps you understand your body and how it works and teaches you how to interact with your body in ways that improve your health and well-being.
- Bioenergetic therapy is for everyone. It does not matter if you are young or old, male or female, fit or unfit—anyone can benefit from this therapy. That said, the therapy might not be effective for everyone.
- You will need to commit yourself to the process of learning about and practicing bioenergetic therapy for it to be effective for you. You must attend sessions regularly and commit to practice between and during them.
- Do your homework! Research the different types of bioenergetic therapy available to find one that best fits your needs. This will also help you ensure you’re getting an accredited practitioner appropriately trained in their practice.
- Ask questions! Don’t be afraid to ask questions if something seems unclear or confusing—you’re paying for this service, after all! Your practitioner should be happy to explain anything that doesn’t make sense so that both parties are on the same page about what’s going on during sessions together.
How to Get Started With Bioenergetic Therapy?
One of the best things you can do to improve your health and well-being is to start working with a bioenergetic therapist. But how do you get started?
Let’s break it down:
- Ask around—If you know someone who has worked with a bioenergetic therapist, ask them! They can give you an honest opinion of the experience and help you decide if it’s right for you.
- Research online—There are many websites where people review and discuss bioenergetic therapy. You might find some information that helps you decide whether or not it’s right for you.
- Contact a practitioner—If you think this is something that might work for you, reach out to a practitioner in your area or online. It doesn’t cost anything to talk with them about what they do, so there’s no harm in asking questions and finding out more about what they offer.
Overall, these techniques appear pretty promising. If you suffer from chronic fatigue or any associated conditions, bioenergetic therapy is worth considering as part of your treatment plan.
Bioenergetically oriented practitioners are actively integrating more conventional treatments into their work to strengthen the overall effectiveness of their protocols, which should be applauded. And thanks to constantly improving research techniques and growing awareness of the condition, natural remedies are becoming more and more accessible to the public as time goes on.